- Latest Posts
- 15th Mar 2017 - Northumbrian Shin of Beef Casserole
- 2nd Mar 2017 - Turnbull's Unveil New Cutting Unit
- 19th Feb 2017 - Sticky Brisket of Beef
- Archive March 2017
- Northumbrian Shin of Beef Casserole
- Turnbull's Unveil New Cutting Unit February 2017
- Sticky Brisket of Beef
- WIN this Valentine's Day!
- Student Emily helps butchers strike five golds! December 2016
- Christmas at Turnbull's! November 1999
- Christmas Day Cooking
- Christmas Day Cooking September 2016
- And its not just meat were good at!
- Staff at Newcastle's Crowne Plaza get hands-on training from local suppliers August 2016
- Breakfast Sausage is a Sizzling Success Story! May 2016
- The 'Turnbull's Trio' Outlaw Half Nottingham Page
- Alnwick butchers sausage is BBQ runner-up
- Turnbulls Butchers fires up for UK BBQ contest finale March 2016
- Easter 2016 at Turnbull's of Alnwick!
- Easter at Turnbull's February 2016
- Valentine's at Turnbull's January 2016
- Enjoy Burns Night with Turnbull's! November 2015
- Christmas all Wrapped Up!
- Turnbulls Butchers shines in Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- Turnbull's Win at the 2015 Smithfield Awards! October 2015
- October at Turnbull's November 1999
- Christmas at Turnbull's 2015 August 2015
- Summer at Turnbull's
- Peter Turnbull July 2015
- Turnbulls Butchers is celebrating their 135th year trading! June 2015
- June at Turnbull's! May 2015
- Review: #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's
- #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's! April 2015
- Prime Minister visits Turnbull's!
- Easter at Turnbull's of Alnwick February 2015
- Mark is elected Chairman of the Butchers Q Guild. November 1999
- Butcher Is Better campaign launched February 2015
- Get in the mood with Turnbull's! January 2015
- Celebrate Burns Night with Turnbull's of Alnwick. December 2014
- Christmas at Turnbull's of Alnwick November 2014
- A+ Pass in Q Guild Hygiene Audit January 2014
- Buying with Confidence
- The Guardian Food Tour November 2014
- Meat the Butcher at Out Cook Cookery School
- Turnbull's win Gold at Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- British Sausage Week 2014 October 2014
- Turnbull's all set to Extend Mobile Shop Rounds November 2013
- John Turnbull hands over Keys to Travelling Shop November 1999
- British Sausage Week 2013 October 2013
- Autumn in Alnwick September 2013
- Alnwick Food Festival July 2013
- Best of British Burgers
- Turnbull's Delivery Service June 2013
- Turnbull's Score A+ on Q Guild Hygiene Audit May 2013
- Turnbull's Crowned BBQ Champions! December 2012
- Champion beef coup for Turnbulls Butchers
Best of British Burgers
Turnbull's of Alnwick have introduced a brand-new sizzling summer gourmet burger package, all but one based on the town's great and good, both past and present. The Turnbull's Team are encouraging burger buffs across Northumberland, notably al fresco aficionados with barbecues, to take up the gauntlet and have a crack at creating the burgers at home.
They will have plenty of help from the experts, with all five burgers, specially created buns, additional ingredients and recipe cards, with full cooking instructions, available from Turnbull's Market Street shop. The new burgers bonanza, all using locally sourced meat, features:
'The Big Fat Percy Porker'
Named after Alnwick's most famous family, the Percy's, who live in Alnwick Castle and have been associated with the town for over 700 years. The recipe is based on Turnbull's Pork & Apple Burgers.
'The Harry Hotspur'
The nickname given to Alnwick's illustrious warrior Sir Henry Percy. At the heart of this recipe is Turnbull's Beef & Caramelised Onion Burger, which qualified for the final of a national BBQ competition.
'The Saint Mick'
Named after St Michael, who stands on top of the Pant, a water fountain outside Turnbull's shop, and who is, among others, the Patron Saint of grocers. His offering is based on the shop's lamb burger.
Named after Turnbull's legendary 'Big White Chief' the late Bobby Turnbull, who first established the shop on its present-day site during the 1950s. The foundation is the shop's Beef Steak Burger.
'The Bull Master'
Based on TurnBULL's best-selling Beef Burger, dubbed the Master Burger.
While the 'Best of British Burgers' initiative is Turnbull's brainchild, it represents a prime example of regional businesses working together in partnership. The Running Fox Coffee Shop and Artisan Bakery in Felton, eight miles south of Alnwick, has hand-crafted a range of special bread buns for the burgers, including sun-dried tomato & basil, fresh garden sage, multi-seeded knot, rosemary & rock salt, and chilli & garlic.
Local design company Lazy Grace, based in East Newtown, Rothbury, has created a series of charicatures to represent the individual characters from whom the new burgers take their names. They are all featured on the new recipe cards. Turnbull's Butchers owner Mark Turnbull said: " It's a complete burgers package. We want to get people fired up and, equipped with all the ingredients, have a go at creating the new burgers themselves."
Turnbull's will also be firing up its own barbecue outside the shop on Saturdays throughout the school summer holidays to prepare and sell the new burgers range, with a donation from each one sold going to Northumberland Hospice in Alnwick. Turnbull's Beef & Caramelised Onion Burger, along with its Traditional Pork Sausage both won through to the Q Guild National BBQ finals held in Oxford in June, where the sausage won third prize.