- Latest Posts
- 10th Feb 2017 - WIN this Valentine's Day!
- 9th Feb 2017 - Student Emily helps butchers strike five golds!
- 6th Dec 2016 - Christmas at Turnbull's!
- Archive February 2017
- WIN this Valentine's Day!
- Student Emily helps butchers strike five golds! December 2016
- Christmas at Turnbull's! November 1999
- Christmas Day Cooking
- Christmas Day Cooking September 2016
- And its not just meat were good at!
- Staff at Newcastle's Crowne Plaza get hands-on training from local suppliers August 2016
- Breakfast Sausage is a Sizzling Success Story! May 2016
- The 'Turnbull's Trio' Outlaw Half Nottingham Page
- Alnwick butchers sausage is BBQ runner-up
- Turnbulls Butchers fires up for UK BBQ contest finale March 2016
- Easter 2016 at Turnbull's of Alnwick!
- Easter at Turnbull's February 2016
- Valentine's at Turnbull's January 2016
- Enjoy Burns Night with Turnbull's! November 2015
- Christmas all Wrapped Up!
- Turnbulls Butchers shines in Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- Turnbull's Win at the 2015 Smithfield Awards! October 2015
- October at Turnbull's November 1999
- Christmas at Turnbull's 2015 August 2015
- Summer at Turnbull's
- Peter Turnbull July 2015
- Turnbulls Butchers is celebrating their 135th year trading! June 2015
- June at Turnbull's! May 2015
- Review: #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's
- #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's! April 2015
- Prime Minister visits Turnbull's!
- Easter at Turnbull's of Alnwick February 2015
- Mark is elected Chairman of the Butchers Q Guild. November 1999
- Butcher Is Better campaign launched February 2015
- Get in the mood with Turnbull's! January 2015
- Celebrate Burns Night with Turnbull's of Alnwick. December 2014
- Christmas at Turnbull's of Alnwick November 2014
- A+ Pass in Q Guild Hygiene Audit January 2014
- Buying with Confidence
- The Guardian Food Tour November 2014
- Meat the Butcher at Out Cook Cookery School
- Turnbull's win Gold at Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- British Sausage Week 2014 October 2014
- Turnbull's all set to Extend Mobile Shop Rounds November 2013
- John Turnbull hands over Keys to Travelling Shop November 1999
- British Sausage Week 2013 October 2013
- Autumn in Alnwick September 2013
- Alnwick Food Festival July 2013
- Best of British Burgers
- Turnbull's Delivery Service June 2013
- Turnbull's Score A+ on Q Guild Hygiene Audit May 2013
- Turnbull's Crowned BBQ Champions! December 2012
- Champion beef coup for Turnbulls Butchers
John Turnbull hands over Keys to Travelling Shop
Turnbull's stalwart and Fourth Generation Butcher John Turnbull has moved from the front to the back seat of the business - quite literally, as he steps down the gears on reaching retirement age.
John Turnbull, 65, who has worked man and boy at Turnbull's of Alnwick, has handed over the keys to the firm's travelling shop, which has served the local communities for generations. However, he will not be hanging up his butcher's apron just yet, but is continuing to work in semi-retirment as a 'back room boy' on the production side at the award-winning Market Street shop.
John, who has lived in Alnwick all his life, was just 16 when, in 1964, he joined the family business established in 1880 by Roger Turnbull, who was followed by his sons John and Murdie - John's grandfather. It remains the town's longest-established butcher and one of its oldest businesses.
Fast approaching his milestone 50th anniversary with Turnbull's, John has been a familiar face at the wheel of the travelling shop for all but two of these years - ever since he passed his driving test aged 17. He made his final - and emotional journey - at the beginning of November, before handing over the keys to Turnbull's Paul Leighton, who is continuing John's Saturday round. John says: "I'm already missing it. It's the end of an era. Many of my customers have become firm friends over the years. I have known some of them since they were kids and they now have their own children and grandchildren. I will miss them all."
"The travelling shop has also become a lifeline to the elderly and less able-bodied. It is much more than just a butcher's shop on wheels - it continues to provide a vital community service to our local villages and I would like to thank everyone who has supported both myself and Turnbull's over so many years. I am still taking an active part in the shop, but more behind the scenes."
"Our sixth generation family butchers remains in good hands, with my son Mark at the helm, now joined by his son, my grandson, Daniel. They are lucky to have such a loyal and committed team, many of whom have been with the business for a number of years. I hope everyone will continue to support us."
Asked what major changes he had seen in the business and butchery in general over the years, John said: "We have had to expand the business, to adapt and diversify our product ranges to meet ever-changing tastes and pockets, and respond to increasing competition from the supermarkets. However, we have fought a winning battle and our customers have responded accordingly, safe in the knowledge that we remain a traditional family-run butchers, committed to sourcing the finest quality locally sourced meat, with customer service to match - in short a local butcher they can trust."