- Latest Posts
- 10th Feb 2017 - WIN this Valentine's Day!
- 9th Feb 2017 - Student Emily helps butchers strike five golds!
- 6th Dec 2016 - Christmas at Turnbull's!
- Archive February 2017
- WIN this Valentine's Day!
- Student Emily helps butchers strike five golds! December 2016
- Christmas at Turnbull's! November 1999
- Christmas Day Cooking
- Christmas Day Cooking September 2016
- And its not just meat were good at!
- Staff at Newcastle's Crowne Plaza get hands-on training from local suppliers August 2016
- Breakfast Sausage is a Sizzling Success Story! May 2016
- The 'Turnbull's Trio' Outlaw Half Nottingham Page
- Alnwick butchers sausage is BBQ runner-up
- Turnbulls Butchers fires up for UK BBQ contest finale March 2016
- Easter 2016 at Turnbull's of Alnwick!
- Easter at Turnbull's February 2016
- Valentine's at Turnbull's January 2016
- Enjoy Burns Night with Turnbull's! November 2015
- Christmas all Wrapped Up!
- Turnbulls Butchers shines in Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- Turnbull's Win at the 2015 Smithfield Awards! October 2015
- October at Turnbull's November 1999
- Christmas at Turnbull's 2015 August 2015
- Summer at Turnbull's
- Peter Turnbull July 2015
- Turnbulls Butchers is celebrating their 135th year trading! June 2015
- June at Turnbull's! May 2015
- Review: #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's
- #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's! April 2015
- Prime Minister visits Turnbull's!
- Easter at Turnbull's of Alnwick February 2015
- Mark is elected Chairman of the Butchers Q Guild. November 1999
- Butcher Is Better campaign launched February 2015
- Get in the mood with Turnbull's! January 2015
- Celebrate Burns Night with Turnbull's of Alnwick. December 2014
- Christmas at Turnbull's of Alnwick November 2014
- A+ Pass in Q Guild Hygiene Audit January 2014
- Buying with Confidence
- The Guardian Food Tour November 2014
- Meat the Butcher at Out Cook Cookery School
- Turnbull's win Gold at Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- British Sausage Week 2014 October 2014
- Turnbull's all set to Extend Mobile Shop Rounds November 2013
- John Turnbull hands over Keys to Travelling Shop November 1999
- British Sausage Week 2013 October 2013
- Autumn in Alnwick September 2013
- Alnwick Food Festival July 2013
- Best of British Burgers
- Turnbull's Delivery Service June 2013
- Turnbull's Score A+ on Q Guild Hygiene Audit May 2013
- Turnbull's Crowned BBQ Champions! December 2012
- Champion beef coup for Turnbulls Butchers
Staff at Newcastle's Crowne Plaza get hands-on training from local suppliers
Head chef Chris Wood has been keen for his food and drink team to learn from local experts in order to benefit diners
Staff from Crowne Plaza Newcastle-Stephenson Quarter can claim to be a cut above the rest when it comes to knowing their stuff about the produce served up for diners, thanks to a training programme run in partnership with the hotel’s local suppliers.
The food and beverage team, who provide service in Hawthorns brasserie and The Gin Bar, are visiting local suppliers to learn more about the provenance and traceability of the food.
The most recent visit was to Turnbull’s, of Alnwick, who supply the hotel with quality meats such as rib eye steaks and gourmet burgers for the grills.
The group was hosted by Mark Turnbull, who is the sixth generation of the family to run the award-winning family butchers established in 1880.
Throughout the day, the team tried out butchery skills, were shown how various cuts of meat are prepped and had a go at making sausages.
They also learned about the traceability and provenance of the meat as well as cooking methods to get the best out of the produce.
Chris Wood, head chef at Crowne Plaza Newcastle-Stephenson Quarter, says: “Using locally sourced ingredients is key to making the fresh and tasty dishes on our menu.
“Traceability and provenance of the food we serve is very important and there’s no better way to understand the produce we’re working with than to experience how and where it’s made.
“Working closely with suppliers and being so knowledgeable about the food and drink we serve is great for our diners too.
“As well as the kitchen team, the waiting staff also has a greater knowledge of the dishes, so they’re better equipped to provide help and advice for customers when making their choices.”
Mark Turnbull, who is also national chairman of the Q Guild which represents more than 100 award-winning independent butchers across the UK, adds: “The hotel staff have dedicated time to understanding the production processes for our finest quality meats.
“They really know the cuts they’re working with so they can get the best out of our produce. It’s a pleasure to see that they’re as enthusiastic about our produce as we are.”
Crowne Plaza Newcastle-Stephenson Quarter works closely with local growers, butchers, fishermen, dairy farmers and distillers to source the fresh, regional produce that goes into every dish on the Northern British-inspired menu.