- Latest Posts
- 10th Feb 2017 - WIN this Valentine's Day!
- 9th Feb 2017 - Student Emily helps butchers strike five golds!
- 6th Dec 2016 - Christmas at Turnbull's!
- Archive February 2017
- WIN this Valentine's Day!
- Student Emily helps butchers strike five golds! December 2016
- Christmas at Turnbull's! November 1999
- Christmas Day Cooking
- Christmas Day Cooking September 2016
- And its not just meat were good at!
- Staff at Newcastle's Crowne Plaza get hands-on training from local suppliers August 2016
- Breakfast Sausage is a Sizzling Success Story! May 2016
- The 'Turnbull's Trio' Outlaw Half Nottingham Page
- Alnwick butchers sausage is BBQ runner-up
- Turnbulls Butchers fires up for UK BBQ contest finale March 2016
- Easter 2016 at Turnbull's of Alnwick!
- Easter at Turnbull's February 2016
- Valentine's at Turnbull's January 2016
- Enjoy Burns Night with Turnbull's! November 2015
- Christmas all Wrapped Up!
- Turnbulls Butchers shines in Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- Turnbull's Win at the 2015 Smithfield Awards! October 2015
- October at Turnbull's November 1999
- Christmas at Turnbull's 2015 August 2015
- Summer at Turnbull's
- Peter Turnbull July 2015
- Turnbulls Butchers is celebrating their 135th year trading! June 2015
- June at Turnbull's! May 2015
- Review: #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's
- #BurgerWeek at Turnbull's! April 2015
- Prime Minister visits Turnbull's!
- Easter at Turnbull's of Alnwick February 2015
- Mark is elected Chairman of the Butchers Q Guild. November 1999
- Butcher Is Better campaign launched February 2015
- Get in the mood with Turnbull's! January 2015
- Celebrate Burns Night with Turnbull's of Alnwick. December 2014
- Christmas at Turnbull's of Alnwick November 2014
- A+ Pass in Q Guild Hygiene Audit January 2014
- Buying with Confidence
- The Guardian Food Tour November 2014
- Meat the Butcher at Out Cook Cookery School
- Turnbull's win Gold at Q Guild Smithfield Awards
- British Sausage Week 2014 October 2014
- Turnbull's all set to Extend Mobile Shop Rounds November 2013
- John Turnbull hands over Keys to Travelling Shop November 1999
- British Sausage Week 2013 October 2013
- Autumn in Alnwick September 2013
- Alnwick Food Festival July 2013
- Best of British Burgers
- Turnbull's Delivery Service June 2013
- Turnbull's Score A+ on Q Guild Hygiene Audit May 2013
- Turnbull's Crowned BBQ Champions! December 2012
- Champion beef coup for Turnbulls Butchers
Turnbull's all set to Extend Mobile Shop Rounds
Turnbull's of Alnwick, who have been serving the local community for generations through its renowned mobile shop, is looking to extend the service after acquring a second vehicle.
Turnbull's have bought and adapted a van to supplement its existing travelling shop and the two vehicles are set to provide an extended 'meals on wheels' service five days a week to villages within a 20-mile radius of Alnwick.
The initiative is the brainchild of sixth generation family butcher Daniel Turnbull, 23-year-old son of the Market Street shop's owner Mark Turnbull.
Daniel explained: "Generations of the Turnbull family have taken the wheel of our travelling shop - in fact, I'm told we first started delivering meat by horse and cart! For numerous years, it has provided a vital community service to our rural communities."
"It is much more than just a butcher's shop on wheels. It is part of our heritage and has become an important resource for people of all ages in our surrounding villages, particularly as a lifeline to the elderly and less able-bodied, who may find it difficult to get into town to shop with us."
"I may still be relatively young, but I fully recognise the value of not only maintaining, but actually extending this key facility to our outlying communities with the purchase of a second vehicle."
In fact, Daniel will himself be at the wheel of the new travelling shop, with dad Mark and Turnbull's butchers Paul Leighton, Alan Hall and Philip Short also regularly helping to man both vehicles.
The current travelling shop serves Boulmer, Longhoughton, Craster, Embleton and Christon Bank on Tuesdays, Shilbottle on Wednesday, Whittingham, Powburn and Glanton on Thursday, Lesbury, Hipsburn, Boulmer, Longhoughton, Embleton and Christon Bank on Friday, and Rennington, Christon Bank, South Charlton and Dunston on Saturday.
Turnbull's is now looking to extend the service to the Warkworth, Acklington, Swarland and Felton areas. "What we would really like is feedback from people in these areas to determine potential levels of interest. If there is the demand, we will seek to fulfil it," said Daniel.
Mark Turnbull added: "Many of our travelling shop customers have become firm friends over many years - we have even served their parents, grandparents and great grandparents! The idea of extending this crucial support service is all down to Daniel and we are really proud of him for taking the initiative.
"If it takes off, we will in all likelihood look to create a new job for someone to manage the travelling shops, which in itself will provide a boost to the local economy."